While robotic vacuums are grabbing headlines, most consumers (53%) go for the traditional upright vacuum. According to Consumer Reports, 26% go for stick vacuums, 12% for canister vacuums, and just 9% for robotic vacuums. In this guide, wea��ll show how to choose the best vacuum for you. Click here to jump to CRs recommendations.
Bottom Line – Vacuums Recommended by Consumer Reports.
Ecovacs Deebot M88 -A�86 Points
The Ecovacs Deebot M88 is a low-profile robot vacuum with silent operation and excellent cleaning capabilities.
iRobot Roomba 890 – 86 Points
-The midpriced iRobot Roomba 890 adjusts height adjusts automatically, although it isn’t ideal for cat hair.
Eufy RoboVac 11 – 81 Points
-The Eufy RoboVac 11 is the cheapest robot vac on the list. Its longer runtime of up to 95 minutes plus the decent job it can do for pet hair makes it a steal at $250.
Neato Botvac D3 Connected – 76 Points
-Even if it is one of the stronger models in the list, the Neato Botvac D3 does not make as much noise. Its one downside is the short running time of just 15 minutes.
Kenmore Elite Pet-Friendly 31150 – 74 Points
-The Kenmore Elite Pet-Friendly 31150 is your best choice for deep cleaning carpets since it captures dirt quite well. Choose this vacuum for homes with allergy-prone residents.
Kenmore Pet-Friendly 31220 – 71 Points
-The Kenmore Pet-Friendly 31220 is substantially cheaper than elite options. This bagless upright vacuum cleaner also includes excellent tools that extend its practicality.
Hoover WindTunnel Max UH30600 – 70 Points
-The moderately priced Hoover WindTunnel Max UH30600 is easy to carry and it does a fantastic job on both carpeted and bare floors.
Miele Dynamic U1 Jazz -A�
-If you want an easy to own bagged upright vacuum cleaner, the Miele Dynamic U1 Jazz is a good choice. This model does a superb job at sucking up pet hair with minimal noise.
Bissell Air Ram 1984 – 91 Points
-The Busell Air Ram 1984 can clean up your bare carpet even if its laden with pet hair. This model cannot be converted to become a hand vacuum, but it runs 50 up to minutes or more.
Dirt Devil Power Stick SD12530 – 88 Points
-The Dirt Devil does a great job with both dirt and pet hair on most surfaces such as carpets, plus it comes with a 26-foot power cord and a reasonable price tag.
Dyson V6 Cord-Free – 77 Points
-The Dyson V6 Cord-Free is an alternative to the very popular Dyson V8, although it still is a bit pricey. This model can run for about 13 minutes non-stop, and connecting it is hassle-free.
Kenmore 10341 – 74 Points
The cordless Kenmore 10341 runs quietly while cleaning tough surfaces like carpets while running at up to 15 minutes more.
Dyson Ball Multi Floor 2 – 71 Points
-The Dyson Ball Multi Floor 2’s self-adjusting cleaner head allows it to clean carpets, wood, or tile flooring while being easy to maneuver.
Dyson Ball Animal 2 – 71 Points.
-TheA�Dyson Ball Animal 2 features one of the industry’s strongest suction ratings tha make it suitable for any cleaning task.
Kenmore Pet-Friendly Crossover 31220 – Points
-The Kenmore Pet-Friendly Cross Over 31220 is a $200 cheaper alternative to Dyson options.
Shark Navigator Powered Lift-Away NV 586 – 70 points
The Shark Navigator Powered Lift-Away NV 586 is always on TV, but this is a middle of the road vacuum.
Key Features for a Good Vacuum Cleaner
Basically, the features listed below can help you determine which kind of vacuum cleaner to buy. It may not be easy to get one that has all the above features but at least you can look for one that comes close. Put into consideration the type of surface you want to clean and the kind of dirt you will be handling. The more stubborn the dirt is the stronger the vacuum machine needs to be.
– Brush Roll Switch: It is a great feature to be able to turn it off or on the brush as per your need. The brush roll can easily damage some rugs and hard surfaced floors. This feature enables you to regulate how you will use it for a more effective outcome
– Retractable Cord: This is mainly found on canisters or smaller vacuums that are upright that fuller sized ones. This feature enables the user to control the code and make it automatically retract into the cleaner. You do not have to roll up the code manually.
– Adjustable Height: A good vacuum cleaner should be one that can enable easy adjusting of the vacuum cleaners height. You as the user should be comfortable when using the cleaner while standing upright. This minimizes the chances of getting a backache and other health hazards. This feature can be automatic or manual. Regulating the height also makes sure the type of floor or carpet being cleaned is serviced well.
– The Electric Hose: This feature requires an electrical connection to be attached to the electric hose. It offers more power to the vacuum cleaner and better suction. It works better with canister vacuums which can be either aired or electric powered.
– Telescoping Wand: This feature is available for both canister and upright vacuums. The wand is able to extend giving the cleaner more length in order to reach further while cleaning. This is great for cleaning windows, ceilings and drapes. This feature is getting more popular with time.
– Crevice Tool: This cleaning feature is best for cleaning upholstery furniture, along edges and in corners. It also works perfectly when cleaning cars. This crevice tool reaches small areas that would otherwise be impossible to clean.
– Cordless: This feature is most common for small vacuum cleaners. They are usually just held by the hand or stuck to the device being cleaned. Quick messes or small spaces are most ideal for this. It is easy to use and very convenient.
– Dusting Brush: They come with angled bristles, a design that enables sweeping and forcing dust inside the hose. This is very good for cleaning corners, upholstery and hard to reach areas.
– Upholstery Tool: This tool comes attached to the vacuum cleaner and is perfect for cleaning curtains and drapes. Even mattresses fall under this category. This tool has a textured edging and not bristles. They allow airflow and movement on the surface being cleaned.
– Power Setting Variable: If you are able to adjust the power of suction for a vacuum cleaner, the type of surface being cleaned will get the best care. Customizing the power of the vacuum enables you to focus on more sensitive areas to be cleaned.
Regardless of the above features, there are some varieties of vacuum cleaners that come quite close to meeting these requirements.
Leta��s look at them one by one:
Upright Vacuum Cleaners
This type of vacuum cleaner has the power to remove the toughest dirt from very hard to reach places. From pet hair to the deepest carpets, the upright vacuum cleaner can do the job. It comes with special tools to help get the job done. It offers a custom cleaning experience that is very easy to maneuver. With deep cleaning power, it has a high capacity for high-end cleaning. It has an expanded toolkit that comes with deep cleaning abilities. The majority (52%) of consumers choose an upright.
1. They cost less than canister vacuums
2. They have a wider cleaning swath
3. They are easy to clean and store
4. Good at deep carpet cleaning
1. It is heavy and hard to move around
2. They tend to be noisier than others
3. Bags need to be changed.
Upright vacuum cleaners are very convenient for areas which need a lot of cleaning. Busy areas that experience a lot of traffic in terms of dirt and dust can benefit well will this one. It is able to gather a lot of dirt given its large dirtbag. It is also able to easily cover a large area in limited time. Areas that require wide and frequent areas to clean like hotels can benefit greatly with this vacuum cleaner. However, the noise it makes and its heavy weight make it unfriendly for smaller homesteads.
Robot Vacuum Cleaners
This product comes with memory navigation with its robot technology. It can be connected to Wi-Fi. It is intelligent as it can remember the pattern of the house and can identify your floor map. It is able to work independently and does not require much supervision. It also has SmartWall technology which enables it to know which rooms are off limits to it. This feature is enabled by the Hoover home App. It can detect dirt and has voice control features which are unique only to it. The user of this vacuum machine can also enjoy the light indicators as part of its features. It also comes with a docking station and a cleaning tool.
1. They do all the work while you sit back and relax
2. It can get its way around hidden corners
3. You can control it by using your smartphone
4. It is easy to use and very efficient
5. You do not have to be physically available for it to work
6. It can save you a lot of time
1. Not be the best for deep rugs
2. Suction power is low
2. Nothing can really match your own cleaning with an upright or canister vacuum cleaner.
We recommend this type of vacuum for those who are into technological gadgets or want their house vacuumed every day. It will work well for a high end home and those who do not have a lot of time to clean around the house. Its ability to work on its own gives it an upper edge on convenience. You can set it up and program it to even clean in your absence. It is however not recommended for a home full of young children as it can easily be confused for a toy and damaged.
Stick Vacuum Cleaners
Stick vacuums offer a very strong experience when cleaning. They are light in weight thus offering an excellent solution for quick fixes. It can be moved from one area to another without too much energy. It comes with a low profile that makes it very easy to use. The floor sense technology in it can detect dirt from the farthest corners. Its filter can be able to minimize odor and it also has a special tool for Pets. The long-lasting lithium battery goes a long way in saving you money. Some even come with a tunnel for wind surging. This minimizes the noise while maximizing the deep cleaning abilities. It has a superior ability to clean carpets and can be easily recharged.
1. Convenient for cleaning up a quick mess
2. Light in weight thus portable
3. Upright and cordless stick vacuums are very convenient.
4. It has a rechargeable battery
5. Easy to clean and store
1. Full-size vacuums tend to perform better
2. They have a small dirt bin capacity
The Stick vacuum is highly recommended for those who do not want to bend all the time. It provides convenience for those little messes that happen all the time. It can also be best for those with small kids who mess the house all the time. It is also value for money considering what it can do.
It is also important for you to note that when shopping for a vacuum cleaner there are those factors that you must consider. Given the many brands and varieties out there, it is very easy to get confused and end up buying what you dona��t need.
Some of these factors may include:
1. Consider what you need the vacuum cleaner for. How best will it be able to solve your problem?
2. Put into account the price of the cleaner. Will it be value for your money? You need to buy a product that you will be happy with because it was worth the price
3. Check for a proper quality product. For how long will you be able to use the vacuum cleaner? You want to be able to enjoy its services for the longest time possible. Ensure that it is made of log lasting material and cannot be damaged easily.
4. Do your window shopping in advance. Check for all the relevant features you need your vacuum cleaner to have. Make sure it serves the correct purpose for you.
5. Ask around and find out what has worked for others. Especially in terms of branding, find out which brand comes highly recommended.
6. Buy a product which is the right size for you. Some vacuum cleaners are too big for your space and moving and storing it becomes a problem.
7. Ensure that the vacuum cleaner is easy to use, convenient and easy to clean as well.
8. Do not forget to check on how much noise the vacuum cleaner makes. Small details like this can make or break your decision. The last thing you need is a product that wakes up the whole neighborhood every time you wake up early to clean.
Where to Buy a Vacuum Cleaner?
Clearly, a trip to Sears can give you the best chance to try a few vacuums. Our analysis indicates that online and in-store prices are nearly the same in 2023.
If you do your research right, a good vacuum cleaner can last you for many years without you even having to replace or repair it. However, you may want to buy a machine that is easy to repair in case it gets damaged. Also be sure to check for warranty as this enhances your confidence when you are finally ready to make your purchase. It is important to also check out for accessories such as a tool for pet grooming and a head light. However, do not get too caught up with them as they may just be additions to confuse you and divert your focus from what the real product can do.
Buying a vacuum cleaner that best suits your needs does not have to be like rocket science. This guide will help you navigate through this murky world of vacuum cleaners. To get the best appliance put into consideration all the factors including features, accessories and reviews. I hope that you will make the right decision and enjoy your cleaning experience.
Leave a Reply