So many cars are launched into the market every year. Do you want to know which cars are reccomended by Consumer Reports?A� We carefully reviewed the 2018 reccomendations from CR .A� Let’s break them down by category:
Best Sports Car
Mazda MX-5 Miata – Known for its honed alchemical formula, this lightweight beast provides powerful acceleration due to its four-cylinder engine.
(Source: – https://www.digitaltrends.com/car-reviews/2016-mazda-mx-5-miata-review/)
- The slightest of throttle provides a quick burst of speed accompanied by a soothing exhaust sound. This 4th generation Miata delivers a powerful masculine look which was less visible in its predecessors.
- The 2 Liter Inline 4 engine delivers 155 horsepower and 148-pound-feet of torque.
- The one thing that truly separates Miata from others is its handling, hands down.
- Coupled with the traction control and its lightweight stature, the Miata is the epitome of comfortable handling even on narrower lanes.
Best Large Sedan
Chevrolet Impala – The Impala is a spacious Large Sedan with a contoured exterior which gives it an athletic look.
(Source: – http://regencyleasing.com/specials/2017-chevrolet-impala-sedan/)
- The rear seats are roomy which can easily fit in 3 people. The large size trunk can easily accommodate luggage for all occasions.
- The gear transmission is six-speed automatic.
- The Impala is available in three models namely the LS, LT, and premier.
- The ride is smooth and quiet, and the engine delivers powerful acceleration.
Best Compact Hybrid
Toyota PriusA�-A�Toyota was one of the very first car makers that shifted to hybrid models. They have enhanced their eco-friendly hybrid technology, and Toyota Prius is a prime example of that.
(Source: – https://www.sparkstoyota.com/new-Myrtle+Beach-2018-Toyota-Prius-Two+Eco-JTDKARFUXJ3546308)
- As per tests reported by the Consumer Reports, it delivers an astounding 52 mpg.
- Despite the complexity in the design of Hybrid Powertrain, Prius manages to deliver excellent reliability.
- The car is loaded with all the modern safety features along with an infotainment screen.
- The ride quality is typical of a Japanese Car manufacturer like smooth acceleration, firm grip on roads, easy maneuvering.
Best Luxury SUV, According to Consumer Reports
Audi Q7 -A�For a car thata��s high on price, the Audi Q7 definitely provides what it demands. It does give a feeling of a high-end Luxury sedan coupled with infotainment screen.
(Source: – http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/audi/2018-audi-q7-review-ratings-photos-specifications-2018-1.3403648)
- The infotainment screen allows for seamless connectivity with all relevant devices.
- The engine is smooth and silent and provides a quick burst of speed with a little tap on the accelerator pedal.
- The coasting feature allows the gearbox to disengage after taking off your foot from the throttle which helps with good mileage.
- The Audi Q7 averages around 18 KM/L (40 mpg highway) which is remarkable for this spacious seven-seater.
Best Compact Pickup
Honda Ridgeline – The new Honda Ridgeline of 2018 has brought in several changes from its previous models, much to the likings of its consumer and to rival the other brands in its segment.
(Source: – https://www.hondacarsofrockwall.com/clp-2018-honda-ridgeline-rockwall-tx)
- The ridgeline is fuel efficient and has an appreciable towing capacity of around 5000 lbs. The engine is 3.5 liter V6.
- The pickup boasts of several features like a scratch-resistant composite bed, the under bed storage which can be locked, and easy maneuvering as compared to the other pickup trucks.
- Even though it is not a diesel engine, it provides roughly around 20mpg which is remarkably well.
- The Ridgeline might not suit the hardcore truck lovers, but it does provide a plethora of features to compensate for its lack.
Best Compact Car
A�Chevrolet Cruise -A�The Cruise comes with a 153 horsepower turbocharged engine which is lively yet fuel efficient. It is available both in sedan as well as in hatchback.
- The turbocharged diesel can be equipped either with a six-speed manual or nine-speed automatic transmission.
- The infotainment features consists of a 7-inch touchscreen which apart from regular audio, video seamless connectivity (through relevant devices), also allows for 4G LTE.
- The interiors couldna��t be called as charming but still holds up many functional controls.
- Coming to the ride, the cruise isna��t a speedster. The acceleration isna��t the best in its class, and the ride quality could have been better.
- However, it does provide a good mileage, especially on the highways. The braking is up to the task.
Best Subcompact Car
Toyota Yaris iAA�-A� The Yaris iA has three companies behind its inception into the market. It was initially developed by Mazda, but Scion took the responsibility of launching it. And then Toyota took charge of marketing it with its own brand name.
(Source : – https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/2018-Toyota-Yaris-iA-Pictures-c26862)
- The Yaris iA boasts of a sporting look (thanks to Mazda). It comes with a four-cylinder 1.5-liter engine and slick six gear transmission (both manual and automatic).
- The interiors are excellent thanks to the luxurious upholstery as compared to the other cars in this category and price range.
- The ride could have been smoother and supple, but again we cana��t complain about it in this price range.
- The mileage is roughly around 32mpg which is decent for its size and stature.
Best Small SUV
Subaru ForesterA�-A�If you are looking for a car which provides a ton of space, feasibility, and fuel economy, then Subaru Forester is a decent option.
- Forester is not known for its style and plush interiors.
- The thick glass windows have subdued the engine noise which was significantly audible in its previous models.
- The trunk space of this machine is roughly average for this class segment.
- The back seats can be lowered which allows for bulky luggage items like a mountain bike.
- The infotainment system provides all the standard functions. However, it does not support Apple Car Play and Android Auto which is inexcusable in todaya��s time.
- The Engine performance is okay but nothing distinguishable from the other cars in the crossover segment.
Best Midsized Sedan
Kia OptimaA�–A�If you are looking to buy a family sedan, the Kia Optima is a perfect choice. It provides responsive handling, short stopping distances.
- The rear backseats have large spaces to fit in 3 people comfortably.
- The Kia Optima is provided with five powertrains to choose from with both manual and automatic transmission.
- The average acceleration is roughly around 8 seconds for 0-60 mph.
- Regardless of your technical inclination, Kiaa��s infotainment system is a pleasure to use.
- The rear seats are roomy and comfortable except for the middle one. There is optimum space for long legs.
- The 2-liter turbocharged engine outputs 245 hp and 260 pound-feet of torque. The ride quality is decent with nothing impressive. The optima tested for 28 mpg on highway routes.
Why do Customers go for Certain Brands?
After doing some tests of particular cars (of different brands), Consumer Reports gave ratings to each brand on various aspects like Road Test Score, Predicted Reliability and Owner satisfaction.
Audi outranks every car manufacturer with an overall score of 91. The critical parameters considered by the Consumer Report were, predicted reliability and Owner satisfaction, which plays an essential role in Brand Perception. Porsche and BMW did reasonably well at the second and third position with an overall score of 78 and 77.
The Consumer Report has reviewed the cars listed in the article. You may have/had a different experience than those listed in this article based on Consumer Reports.